The Christmas season is upon us and that means people are going to Wal Mart at an alarming rate. But seriously…why are you doing that? Walmart is not a good place, in fact it is a terrible place, and unless Walmart is the only place to shop in your town (which is the case in many towns, you should never go there…ever!)
The Holiday season is all about being courteous and contentious. Year round Walmart has failed to do this on just about every level. So when you do your holiday shopping, do so in the spirit of the season and avoid Wal-Mart. Here is a list of reasons why.
- A judge fined Wal Mart $18 million because the company provided incomplete and false evidence in a lawsuit brought by a woman who had been abducted in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
- Many Walmart outlets in the United States refuse to carry birth control pills in their Pharmacies. This is their choice, but due to the fact that Wal-Mart has effectively put all other pharmacies in town out of business, many women in the community have no choice but to either drive to another town for birth control, or to risk an unwanted pregnancy.
- Upholding a $2.3 million verdict awarded to two women sexually harassed by a Wal-Mart manager, the judge said, the manager's conduct was "outrageous and apparently Wal-Mart was aware of this, since his conduct was witnessed high-level [supervisors].
- Federal judges in three states have fined Wal-Mart--as much as $120,000--for destroying evidence, withholding documents, and other violations in cases where Wal-Mart shoppers were either injured or a crime victim at a Wal-Mart store.
- A jury found that Wal Mart fired a white female employee because she was dating a black man, in a 1998 case.
- If you ever have to return an item at Walmart it is a harrowing and humiliating ordeal that many people simply do not have time for. Any money you save may be lost when you try and fail to return an item.
- A 14-year Walmart worker was awarded $2.75 million after a jury decided store officials wrongly accused her of stealing.
- Three existing community jobs are destroyed for every two new jobs at Wal-Mart.
- Wal-Mart, the company that wrapped itself in the American Flag, is so patriotic it runs a Buy Mexican campaign.
- Wal-Mart sold fake Tommy Hilfiger apparel to consumers after a judged ordered the company to stop.
- Only 38% of Wal Mart employees have company provided health insurance--compared to a national average that shows 60% of employees are covered by company plans.
- After the FTC charged Walmart with not identifying the country of origin on apparel items listed on its Internet sales site, Wal-Mart removed the items, apparently preferring not to disclose where the clothing was made.
- Wal Mart forces many of its employees to participate in team building exercise and songs. Obviously there is nothing legally wrong with that, but seriously it is just humiliating.