With the recent passing of divisive Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, we can take the time to reflect on a man who some believe is a hero and a freedom fighter, and others believe is a remorseless terrorist. Whatever you think, there is a lighter side to this small but very powerful man.
The following are some jokes made about the Palestinian leader by some of the funniest people in America.
- "I thought this was kind of a breakthrough. Yasser Arafat says he likes George Bush’s idea of a brand new Palestinian election, as long as they count the ballots in Florida." —David Letterman
- "Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon arrived in Washington Sunday night to give President Bush a 91-page book proving that Yasser Arafat funded terrorists. White House sources say that President Bush has the book and is almost done coloring it." —Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live’s "Weekend Update"
- "Yesterday, Yasser Arafat was finally able to leave his compound. And what an emotional scene — on the way out high-fiving all those suicide bombers." —David Letterman
- "In an interview, Yasser Arafat’s wife, this hypocrite, she lives in Paris by the way. She said she would gladly sacrifice her son for the Palestinian cause if she had one. She also said she would gladly become a suicide bomber herself, except she’s allergic to dynamite. ’If it wasn’t for that, I would gladly do it instead of shopping here in Paris.’" —Jay Leno
- "After weeks of pleading from the United States, on Saturday Yasser Arafat finally condemned violence and terrorism in the Middle East. Nothing like a tank coming through your front door to make you change your mind." —Jay Leno
- "Earlier today, for the first time, Yasser Arafat issued a statement in Arabic condemning terrorism. U.S. officials say the statement is a step in the right direction except for the last line which translates into ’wink, wink.’" —Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live’s "Weekend Update"
- "Yasser Arafat is sleeping on the floor in his office with his closest aides. He is the first leader to do that since Clinton." —Jay Leno