Kobe Bryant’s Accuser Is Named!
According to the news, the woman accusing Kobe Bryant of rape had to identify herself by name in a revised version of the lawsuit she filed against the NBA star. Once the revised suit was filed, The Rocky Mountain News newspaper in Denver published the woman’s name in a story posted on the paper’s Website.
The 20-year-old woman had sought to remain anonymous in the federal civil case, though her name has previously been widely published on the Internet.
Her attorneys argued she should not be named because she has been the subject of death threats and the type of publicity and newspaper publication could potentially harm her.
News said on Thursday, that the woman identified herself so that she could continue her lawsuit. She said she would prefer that the media not publish her name because she still fears for her safety.
The Rocky Mountain News chose to disregard her request. Editor of the paper, John Temple said: "(..)Today we are naming her, after she made the decision Thursday to re-file her lawsuit in her own name seeking money damages against Bryant.” He added that since both sides’ personal integrity and credibility were at stake than both sides should be named.
U.S. District Judge Richard Matsch last week said the woman must be publicly identified in the case as a matter of fairness. According to the judge, the woman’s privacy had been invaded anyway.
Legal experts say federal judges rarely allow plaintiffs to remain anonymous. The Associated Press and other news organizations generally do not identify alleged victims of sexual assault.
The woman’s name has been accessible on the Internet for months, some people alleged this was because of mistakes by staff at the Eagle County Justice Center in posting case filings on a state Web site in the criminal case.
No trial date has been set in the civil suit, which seeks unspecified damages for alleged pain and suffering.
Bryant maintains that there was a consent between him and the woman.